Monday, January 16, 2012

Give Him your future, and He will use your past

While we were in California, I had the amazing opportunity to help out a Rescue Mission a few times. I can not tell you how blessed I was to serve there.
The Mission feeds the homeless and poor two meals a day, but along with that, they have a special 9 month program for men who want to turn their lives around. And it is truly a beautiful thing to see how God is using this mission to 'rescue, recover and restore' so many lives.

My first time at the rescue mission I was nervous. I had no idea what to expect. But afterward I looked back and was so amazed. The whole time I was there, I could hardly believe how gentle, humble, and polite these men were.

On one of my first trips I got to meet a young man who was in charge of dinner. I was struck by how honest and sincere he seemed to be. He told me he had just gotten baptized and how awesome Jesus was to him. He didn't try to hide the mistakes and sins of his past, but spoke openly about his addiction to drugs, and how he has been living 'before'.
On my last visit, I was assigned kitchen duty again. I was working with another young man. He told me he was 22, and throughout the conversation I found out that he had been taking care of his younger brother, was divorced, and his ex had custody of his 3 year old son. And here he was, planning the meal, serving it out to other homeless families, in rehabilitation, sharing his life story, and loving Christ. He told me he wanted to graduate and gain custody of his son. He introduced me to his little brother and pointed to the first guy I had worked with a few months earlier. 'He's my older brother..and that guy over there? That's my dad. We're all making the change together.' I was amazed. And humbled. And encouraged.

I am always thanked much for serving at the rescue mission. They make it seem like it's such a sacrifice and burden to help serve meals. I wish they only knew how they are ministering to me! How they remind me that there is more to life. How they manifest God's power and love in a way that no one else can. How they have brought me to my knees in prayer. And most of all how they have taught me that when you give your future to God, He WILL use your past -regardless of what it is- for His glory.
Praise be to Him, hallelujah!
http://www.vcrescuemission.org/index.php/en/rrr


1 comment: