Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Friendship Pledge

I've been thinking a lot about friendship recently. What a beautiful thing it can be. What a beautiful gift it is from God. And yet we often abuse it. If we could love, un-selfishly, as Christ loves, how much stronger and purer and beautiful would our friendships be?
With this in mind, I wrote out what I call my Friendship Pledge. Basically, what it truly means to be a Friend like Christ. 
I'm worried, though, because I know I don't have it in me. Yes, my DESIRE is there- to be THIS kind of friend, to love like Christ- but this is not something you can drum up within yourself. And so before I (personally) sign my name to this for my individual friends, I want to take time to pray. Really pray, that God would enable me to love like Christ.

Friendship Pledge
My duty to You, my Friend

My Love for you will be constant, beyond any temporary circumstance or emotion. I will ‘bear all things,’ loving you, regardless. Regardless of myself. Regardless of thoughtless words, or actions. Regardless of hurt feelings or little squabbles. I will love unconditionally, as Christ has loved me.

My Love for you will be prayerful. I recognize the greatest help I can give you is to bring You before our Father. To pray daily for your strength, encouragement, peace and growth.

My Love for you will be complete, not restricted to one part. I will care for the well-being of your body, mind and spirit. I will embrace you in your joy, in your pain, in your anger, in your sorrow. I will laugh when you laugh, weep when you weep.

My Love for you will be unrestrained. To love in abandon, not fearing hurt or pain. To love fully, purely. I will not hold back on account of selfish vulnerability.

My Love for you will be Trusting. I will trust your hands, in the way you trust mine. I will turn away from any slander or mis-use of your name. I will not be quick to doubt, judge, condemn, but will ‘hope all things’.

My Love for you will play the background. It will not be a showy love, or demanding of your time and attention. But it will always be there. A platform to stand on, to lean on, to fall on. I will be the supporting role, the color that brings out your eyes, the music that enhances your entrance.

My Love for you will be Truth. I will not just look for your happiness, but for your well-being.  To say ‘no’ or shout ‘yes’ honestly in every situation. To advise, council and guide in humility as the need arises.

My Love for you will be Sacrificial. To go the extra mile, the giving of the cloak, and to do so joyfully. To receive the late night calls, to endure the cold rain, to die daily to self, so that you may be comforted, safe, and thriving.

To remain above all, faithful and steadfast in Love.


With the Help of the Holy Spirit I pray these things, in Jesus name


_________________________________


1 comment:

  1. What a taste of heaven and the Bridegroom's love! Been reading in John 17 and am struck continually with Christ's desire that our love for each other (and the unity resulting from that) should mirror that of the Trinity. What you have written reflects Christ love for us and, in many ways, the Trinity's love for each Other (though being perfect, God doesn't have to make promises that account for sin within Himself). Hope you don't mind if I copy this and save it for future use.

    ReplyDelete