Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Woodbull Family

The 18th of January is a very special day for me. It was the day I got five other siblings. ‘Officially,’ we’v been family for four years now, but for me the story starts two years before that. I want to share with you the day that God brought the TB family into my life and how I knew, from day one, that they would take up such a big part of my heart.

We were on furlough the year of 2006. The whole time had been jam-pact with activities and churches and historical sights and faces that it is all, sadly, a bit of a blur. As an 11 year old girl a lot was changing for me emotionally and there were times I thought I just couldn't handle all the moving, the unknown. And the feelings of not BELONGING anywhere or really KNOWING anyone were strong.

There's one night I remember in particular. Me and my sister were in bed, and I was sobbing. I wanted so badly for life to be normal. And I knew that just going back home (Mozi) wouldn't cut it. By now I didn't know many m.ks there and there weren't many m.ks there to know in the first place. I felt beyond words the ache of being so alone in this big world. All I wanted was someone who I could say of, 'THIS is my friend'. As much as an 11 year old girl can feel, I felt. I remember Sarah comforting me, telling my that God would provide. That night I fell asleep begging God to bring someone, begging Him to take away my loneliness. 

The very next morning, I kid you not, I was awakened by an answered prayer! I could hear the voices of my siblings in the living room talking over something. When I joined them, I found that Sarah had just gotten an email from a girl named Damarise, who had four younger siblings (around our ages) and  who was writing because (can you guess it?) they're family was moving up to Namp as missionaries! I was ecstatic, as you can imagine...I just KNEW God had something beautiful in store!

We met the TB family about a month after the email. And like we always say, 'We just clicked!'. When we got back to Mozi they were waiting for us. We grew closer and closer and one day, while the TB kids were staying with us, we (never do we agree on who thought it first:)) had this great idea to adopt each other! We thought it was going to be just a little thing for fun, but after four years, our family is still strong! We have so many wonderful, hard, exciting memories together. Each and everyone of them has a big place in my heart, and will always be a part of me. After all, when God brings people into your life in such an amazing way, you don't just let them go. Thank you, God, for my siblings...every single one of them!

1 comment:

  1. Gracie,

    It's sounds cheesy to say I teared up at this, but honestly I did. (Thanks for that Gracie... I'm at work too! Sheesh! ;) Haha)

    Oh! I am SO thankful for the other 5 siblings God gave me as well! Let me tell you I had the most amazing 4 siblings in the world, and then God just blessed me with 5 more amazing siblings right on top of that! Man, do we serve a great God or what?!

    I remember the first day we met as well. Oh! (After Benaiah came into our house first ;) hehe...) when we met all of you. God had answered our prayers about friends in MOzambique. God always cares about even the little things. He is great!

    I'm so thankful to have you as my little sister, Gracie Anne (or Lou :) ) You are not only an amazing sister, but a wonderful friend! I love you SO much and I'm so thankful that even after 4 years we are still family!!

    Cannot WAIT to see you THIS YEAR! :D

    ReplyDelete