Sunday, January 2, 2011

And We Welcomed the New Year with Amazing Grace


My New Years was pretty sweet! There was a party at the Cunninghams house. The Cunninghams live at this HUGE farm and, let me tell you, that family knows how to have fun! I don’t think I’ve ever been totheir house without coming back sore, tired but full of wonderful memories! And yesterday was no exception.

First we got there and there was volleyball. I watched. It’s tough cause when you’re so good at something, it’s sometimes better to sit out just so you don’t make others look bad, you know? Ok, no, the truth is. . . I stink at sports. Hehe. The game ended and we younger folk decided to play again. THEN I played volleyball! Haha! It was fun! Even if it was a bit unsuccessful. But, hey, my team won!See? ;)

Afterwards we hung out. Old friends, I-haven’t-seen-you-in-a-long-time friends and new friends.  The second thing I gotta say is that Kiwi’s are crazy-fun. And if you’re reading this, Kiwi’s, just let me say- You guys are awesome! J During this whole time if was just randomness while we waited for our food to cook. Well, Andrew, Benaiah and I cheated, we brought meat already cooked.  Which now I’m so thankful for seeing how long it took some people to get their food. Haha

The other thing I love about going to the Cunninghams is SCOTTISH DANCING!! New Years just wouldn’t be the same without it. And the best thing is, most everyone is learning so you don’t feel like you’re the only one messing up. JWe did three or four different dance. I love them all! And me and my dancing partner were pretty good! I think we rocked the most! =D

Next came Armies: otherwise known as Spotlight. Around 20 of us all piled on top of the car (no, seriously, on top, I think there were two person sitting inside. Everyone else was hanging on the bumper, in the back, holding onto the sides and sitting out the window). I wasn’t kidding when I said their place is HUGE. And it’s dark. With snakes. So when Mr. C drives us out into the bush, it really does kinda mean the bush with a narrow dirt road in between. But the thing is, your adrenaline is so high you hardly even realize your shoving through thorn thistles and scraping your hands on broken twigs and pressing your face against a place that could easily have been the location of a snake just a few moments before. But I guess that is what makes it so fun. But, I’m not going to lie, there were a few prayers of protection going up . . . at least from me! Another thing I love about the Cunningham’s place are the stars! You look up into the sky and you can see trillions and trillions of stars! It’s so beautiful and majestic. (Oh, did you know that the reason we can see the Southern Cross all year long is because it’s below us? I learned many useful things!) And I always get to see a shooting star there(btw, did you know it’s the leprechauns that shoot them across the sky?)! Stars are gorgeous . . .you should definitely come to Africa to see the stars. J

We walked back home, accompanied by ‘heavenly’ music. It took about 15 minutes or so and by this time it was getting pretty close to 11. We gathered around the bonfire, roasted marshmallows and sang songs. It was beautiful! There’s something so special about worshiping God amongst other believers around a fire, late at night (while roasting marshmallows and sitting by the guitar and singing Power of Your Love and…). Then we had a time of saying what we were grateful for in 2010 and prayers for 2011. It makes you stop and realize just how good God has been to us these past few years. As the clock hit 12:00 we were all standing around the fire, holding hands and singing Amazing Grace.

After that most everyone left except for a few of us young people. There were 11 of us who stayed the whole night. We went inside to play mafia. Yeah, it got pretty hectic! JThen we sat outside just talking, telling jokes, being weird, saying pick-up lines, tearing leaves and dodging falling mangos. Seriously, there’s hardly anything more terrifying then sitting under 10 tall trees that are ALL raining mangos. Around 4:30 we headed off to sleep (after me and the girls tried prank-calling, of course J).

All in all it was a pretty awesome New Year. I came home this morning sore, tired, but full of wonderful memories! I mean there’s nothing much better than welcoming the New Year with Amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment